I'm in New Jersey right now, currently in my bathing suit about to try, probably in vain, to get some color on these legs of mine. It's beautiful out, and I learned how to play badminton this morning. I'm about as good as you would expect. Which is to say, I'm not.
I have a delicious, light, summer recipe for you, but first, I have news!
We placed first in the American Lamb O-Lamb-Pics Summer Grilling Contest! I say we, because you guys are absolutely the best, and voted like crazy to bring me from third place to first place in just one day! So this week I'm receiving my winnings, which include 4 racks of lamb and accessories to host a backyard Olympics-themed barbecue!
Except that I don't have a backyard.
Or a grill.
Anyone want to host a barbecue? I'll bring the meat!
But really. I can't thank you enough for supporting me and this crazy little project I call Two Recipes.
Let's celebrate with luxurious, fresh, delicious crab salad on buttery rolls!
Start with making the avocado mayonnaise. In a food processor add half a ripe avocado, some mayonnaise, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Zip that up until smooth and set aside.
Pick through some jumbo lump crab, or crack some fresh crab if you can get your hands on it, and add the avocado mayonnaise. Season with salt, pepper, a tiny bit of cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning.
If you wanted to add some celery or even some nice sweet summer corn for crunch, I wouldn't be mad at you.
To serve, butter some rolls, which in my case were bulkie rolls, and toast in a skillet over medium high heat until golden brown.
Place some greens on the bun then add the avocado crab salad and cube up the other half of the avocado and place that on top.
Sprinkle the top with a little more salt and top with the toasted bun. Serve with plain ol' potato chips and enjoy!
The crab salad is sweet and flavorful and pairs perfectly with the buttery avocado. It's a little like a lobster roll, a little like a really luxurious tuna salad, and it's all good. I loved the avocado mayonnaise and have plans for topping sandwiches with it in the very near future.
Make this for a nice, light summer dinner. If you can eat it outside, even better. I will say though, and this is very important; eat it the day you make it. You know how avocados turn brown when they are exposed to air? Well, when they're mixed with mayonnaise and crab, they do the same thing except instead of brown, it's this very, very, unappealing grey color. I don't think you'll have a problem eating this all in one meal, but in case you were thinking of saving some for lunch the next day, like I was, don't. Trust me here.
Enjoy! And really, thank YOU, and thank YOU, and most importantly, thank YOU.
Here's the recipe!
Avocado Crab Salad Sandwiches (adapted from Food 52)
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Lemon, for juice and zest
- 1 cup crab meat (I used the canned jumbo lump crab that I found in the seafood section of the grocery store)
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Bulkie rolls or Hot Dog buns
- In a food processor, combine half of the avocado, mayonnaise, half the juice of the lemon and half the zest of the lemon. Season with salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- Gently pick through the crab to check for any pieces of shell. Add the avocado mayonnaise and seasonings (cayenne, Old Bay, salt and pepper). Squeeze the juice of the other half of the lemon and mix gently to combine.
- Spread butter on to the rolls and toast in a skillet until golden brown. Add lettuce, then the crab salad, then the other half of the avocado, cubed. Sprinkle with a little bit of salt.
- Serve with potato chips.